Much Ado About Nothing (2012)
Writers: William Shakespeare; adapted by Joss Whedon
Director: Joss Whedon
Other Cast: Alexis Denisof, Nathan Fillion, Reed Diamond, Sean Maher, Fran Kranz, Tom Lenk, Emma Bates, Clark Gregg
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for some sexuality and brief drug use)
Shot in glorious black and white by Jay Hunter (PAPER HEART, “Dollhouse”), the film stars Amy Acker (CABIN IN THE WOODS, “Alias”) and Alexis Denisof (“How I Met Your Mother”, “Angel”) as Beatrice and Benedick, the world’s least likely lovers headed for their inevitable tumble into love. As Joss Whedon puts it: “The text is to me a deconstruction of the idea of love, which is ironic, since the entire production is a love letter – to the text, to the cast, even to the house it’s shot in.” The supporting cast includes Nathan Fillion (“Castle”, WAITRESS) as Dogberry, Clark Gregg (AVENGERS, IRON MAN) as Leonato, Fran Kranz (CABIN IN THE WOODS, “Dollhouse”) as Claudio and Reed Diamond (“Franklin & Bash”, MONEYBALL) as Don Pedro.
View more images in the gallery
• Filmed entirely on location in Santa Monica, California; Joss Whedon’s house, to be exact!
• Project was announced on October 24, 2011 with the news that principle photography was completed
• Movie to be completed by Spring 2012 with the aim of entering the [film] festival circuit
• First feature from Bellwether Pictures; “a micro-studio created by Joss Whedon and Kai Cole for the production of small, independent narratives for all media, embracing a DIY ethos and newer technologies.”
• Slated for a Spring 2013 release
• Due to be released June 14, 2013 (UK) & June 7, 2013 (US)
• Official trailer was released March 7, 2013 on Yahoo! (UK).